Pages

Monday, January 29, 2018

Only be me



Recently my wonderful and beloved mother made a comment. She had heard of a family tradition another family had around Christmas. She apologized that she had never done anything ‘creative’ like that. Then she said “I guess I can only be me.”

I can easily dispute the first part of her comment. We may not have had that same family tradition as the other family but my mother has always encouraged creativity. She baked with us. Bread, cookies, dinners. I was cooking by myself in grade school. Every Christmas-eve morning we made Christmas tarts as a family. As a parent I can’t imagine it was pleasant or fun for my mom and dad as we all ran around hopped up on sugar and adrenaline and ‘helped’ them.

She taught us to sew. Crochet, knitting, tatting, cross stitch and quilting. I designed and made my own outfit and wore it to church when I was 10. All because she taught and encouraged me.

We always had papers, crayons, pencils, and even markers and paint, which I won’t let my kids touch, with which to draw and write. Every Halloween our masterpieces of haunted houses and spooky cats hung all over the house. Not only did she encourage it, she celebrated it. She let us find our own talents, our own preferences, then let us loose to do our own thing.

Regarding the second part, in her infinite wisdom, my mom got down to what was most important. We can only be ourselves. It’s so easy for us to compare to others. I had hoped I’d grow out of it someday but it appears we may always be doing it. The thing is, I can’t imagine my mother being different. There’s no way she could be better, and if she had been different, I would be different.

Like my mom, I, too, need to accept that I can only be me, and be happy about that. Stop worrying that I’m not enough, that I should be doing more, different.

Because all I can be is me, and that is plenty good. 

11 comments:

  1. Good post. You can get so much done in life if you are not trying to be someone else. And it leaves you free to applaud others in their self-realization, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful post. I think, as a mom, we are always hoping/wondering how we can do better by the people we would happily take a bullet for. And I am so guilty of logically knowing I shouldn't compare myself to anyone, yet I do it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I think we all need to hear this and stop comparing ourselves. I tend to do it as starting to take more care of mom and compare myself to others.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Be the you you are and don't apologize. Tell your mom all she did for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it may helpful to me,That is great tips for me. I will follow all tips.Thanks a lot for posting…ชุดนอนผ้าซาติน สายเดี่ยว

    ReplyDelete
  6. play bazaar

    satta king Stick to whatever plan your chiropractor suggests. If you fail to do this, you will end up disappointed with the results.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Venomous snakes can be a profitable although dangerous way to earn money for your personal finances. The venom can be milked from the snakes repeatedly and then sold, to be made into anti-venom. The snakes could also be bred for valuable babies that you could keep, in order to produce more venom or to sell to others, who may want to earn money from snakes.satta king
    play bazaar
    satta matka

    ReplyDelete
  8. For great coffee at home, it is essential to make sure your coffee maker has been thoroughly cleaned on a regular basis. By running hot water cycles every so often and using a bit of lemon juice routinely to remove deposits, it is possible to have a fresh, tasty pot of coffee every single time.
    Satta King
    Play Bazaar

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sleepsia's full body pillow was planned explicitly to be embraced by side sleepers to keep the hips, legs, and spine adjusted. The fill is gel-injected, CertiPUR-US ensured froth, with a destroyed adaptive padding inward center. Sleepers who love the manner in which adaptive padding adjusts to pressure, yet additionally need assistance remaining cool around evening time ought to check this body pillow out. The fill is breathable, the cover is dampness wicking and, in my experience, it never caught my body heat.

    ReplyDelete